Sunday, April 18, 2010

Seonyu-do Bike trip






First let me begin with a few negatives about Korea. First I would just like to say that the couples wearing matching outfits has lost it's novelty to me already, and every time I see a Korean couple wearing matching shoes, shirts, and jeans it makes me want to do such terrible things. Also The Ajimas (younger Korean grandmothers) continue to piss me off with their constant pushing, shoving and horrible manners. LOL, now that that is over let me begin with my weekend, which was awesome. I finally had a chance to get out of the pollution here in Seoul, and to the islands just off the coast. I spent the weekend with my closest friends here, which are all girls, ironically. We enjoyed some biking, hiking, and kicking back. The Islands were incredible, and it was a very poor area, but the scenery was magnificent. There were dozens of small Islands all around the main island we were on. The first day we biked for a few hours all around the 2 square miles island we were staying on, which had a population of 1200 people. The only crap part of the day was when my bike chain snapped off, and i had to walk it back to the rental shop which was a mile or so away. Once I got there the people that were renting the bikes didn't know how to fix it, so I had to. Still, it was a great time. The day was topped off by Suzy and I daring each other to jump off of a cement dock, and into 38 degree water. Suzy would not do it in less I went first, so i did. Then she was afraid to do it by herself so i did it again. Both times were equally shocking, exhilarating and oh yeah; cold. Then it was off to dinner, which was awful so we left and got our own Korean barbecue. The next day I went to the beach to catch these shell fish that reminded me of small gooey ducks. Later on I had the distinct privilege of eating it. It tasted similar to oysters. Then I went on a hike with my friend Lana, and had the chance to see one of the best views ever. Once I reached the summit of one of the islands I was looking out on all of the small islands, and the breathtaking nature all around me. Also our hike was mostly led by a stray dog that took a liking to me. He was both friendly and mangy, however when he realized we were too slow he ran off ahead never to be seen again. This was the sad part of my day. Either way Korea still continues to amaze me, and I find myself loving more things about it everyday.
*****
1) Myself and the crew ready for our day
2) Fixing my bike chain...... Pain in the ass
3) The Shell fish we caught and ate.
4) A bunch of Ajimas rocking their standard issue hiking gear and visors. How I am beginning to loathe them
5) A view from my hike

No comments:

Post a Comment